Pedestrian Collision and Crashes in New York
New York pedestrians are forced to share the streets with cars, taxis, buses, and trucks. In New York, a negligently or carelessly operated vehicle can cause serious injury and even death to a pedestrian. Pedestrians accounted for 52% of all traffic fatalities in New York from 2005-2009. In 2013, over 172 fatalities were reported.
A recent Op Ed in the New York Daily News written by a New York Emergency Room physician detailed the type and causes of injuries suffered by those who survive a crash, and the massive physical injuries that a crash can cause.
Driver inattention remains to be a common cause of the crash and was cited in nearly 36% of all crashes resulting in pedestrians killed or seriously injured.
Some of our other results in pedestrian collision and crash cases include:
- $2,000,000.00 Recovery for pedestrian struck by NYPD vehicle
- $1,100,000.00 Recovery for a pedestrian who was struck in his driveway
- $500,000.00 recovery for a pedestrian who sustained a crush injury when struck by a van at JFK airport
- $350,000.00 settlement for a gas station attendant who was struck by a car
- $340,000.00 settlement for a pedestrian who was struck by a NYC taxi cab
- $300,000.00 recovery for a pedestrian who was struck while walking on a sidewalk
In addition to the above, we are presently handing multiple cases across New York for pedestrians who have sustained serious injuries or death as a result of negligent drivers. This includes claims involving the City of New York and the NYPD for injuries caused as a result of negligently driven police vehicles, claims against taxi drivers, and New York City buses.
Additional factors as to the cause of these crashes include:
- 27% of fatal pedestrian crashes involved a driver's failure to yield.
- Pedestrian-vehicle crashes involving unsafe speeds are twice as deadly as are other crashes.
- Most New Yorkers do not know that the city’s standard speed limit is 30 m.p.h.
- 79% of crashes that kill or seriously injure pedestrians involve private vehicles, and not taxis, trucks, or buses.
- Manhattan has four times as many pedestrians killed or severely injured per mile of street, as compared to the other four boroughs.
- 43% of pedestrians killed in Manhattan lived in other boroughs or outside of New York City
If you or a loved one has been involved in a pedestrian collision or crash in New York, call or e-mail us today.
I highly recommend Flanzig & Flanzig if you need a bike lawyer.- Happy Client
I have only the best things to say about my experience with Flanzig & Flanzig!- Becca Lee
Highly recommend Flanzig & Flanzig to anyone in need of a good personal injury attorney!- Robert S.
Cathy Flanzig & her team fought hard for my case!- Yolanda L.
Attorney Dan Flanzig always answered the phone and responded promptly to my concerning emails!- Marissa K.