Pedestrian Collision and Crashes in New York
New York pedestrians are forced to share the streets with cars, taxis, buses, and trucks. In New York, a negligently or carelessly operated vehicle can cause serious injury and even death to a pedestrian. Pedestrians accounted for 52% of all traffic fatalities in New York from 2005-2009. In 2013, over 172 fatalities were reported.
A recent Op Ed in the New York Daily News written by a New York Emergency Room physician detailed the type and causes of injuries suffered by those who survive a crash, and the massive physical injuries that a crash can cause.
Driver inattention remains to be a common cause of the crash and was cited in nearly 36% of all crashes resulting in pedestrians killed or seriously injured.
Flanzig and Flanzig has obtained one of the highest settlements in the State of New York for a pedestrian struck by a vehicle.
Some of our other results in pedestrian collision and crash cases include:
- $2,000,000.00 Recovery for pedestrian struck by NYPD vehicle
- $1,100,000.00 Recovery for a pedestrian who was struck in his driveway
- $500,000.00 recovery for a pedestrian who sustained a crush injury when struck by a van at JFK airport
- $350,000.00 settlement for a gas station attendant who was struck by a car
- $340,000.00 settlement for a pedestrian who was struck by a NYC taxi cab
- $300,000.00 recovery for a pedestrian who was struck while walking on a sidewalk
In addition to the above, we are presently handing multiple cases across New York for pedestrians who have sustained serious injuries or death as a result of negligent drivers. This includes claims involving the City of New York and the NYPD for injuries caused as a result of negligently driven police vehicles, claims against taxi drivers, and New York City buses.
Additional factors as to the cause of these crashes include:
- 27% of fatal pedestrian crashes involved a driver's failure to yield.
- Pedestrian-vehicle crashes involving unsafe speeds are twice as deadly as are other crashes.
- Most New Yorkers do not know that the city’s standard speed limit is 30 m.p.h.
- 79% of crashes that kill or seriously injure pedestrians involve private vehicles, and not taxis, trucks, or buses.
- Manhattan has four times as many pedestrians killed or severely injured per mile of street, as compared to the other four boroughs.
- 43% of pedestrians killed in Manhattan lived in other boroughs or outside of New York City
If you or a loved one has been involved in a pedestrian collision or crash in New York, call or e-mail us today.
Real People, Real Stories
Read What Our Past Clients Have to Say About Us
Quit messing around & call them.Dale L.
Dan Flanzig took excellent care of my situation following a severe crash.Darby H.
Cathy & her team are THE ABSOLUTE BEST at what they do & could not have gotten through my accident without them.Nhat-Khanh T.
Leaders in the Safe Streets Movement
Committed Advocates for New York Cyclists
Top-Rated New York Attorneys
Dedicated to Helping Cyclists
Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (866) 352-6944.