If you ride, live or work in New York City, you have most likely had more than one encounter with a NYC taxi cab. In the last several years Uber, Lyft or other ride share vehicles are now becoming the dominant TLC vehicle on the road. We are continuing to notice a steady increase in calls from cyclists and others injured in crashes with these vehicles. As Uber and other companies continue to dominate the NYC landscape, we have now needed to address the legal implications for our clients when they encounter a crash with a ride share vehicle.
The most common causes are:
- Being "doored" by exiting passengers or drivers
- Cabs illegally stopping, standing, or entering bike lanes
- Cabs turning in front of or into riders. This is also known as being "hooked"
- Cabs improperly changing lanes
- Unlawful or negligent turns
All of these scenarios can cause a serious crash and injury to the cyclist or pedestrian.
Unfortunately, the insurance companies that represent NYC yellow taxi cabs are notoriously difficult when it comes to processing and paying claims. American Transit Insurance continues to dominate this market place with some other smaller carriers also having a presence including Washington Mutual and Hereford Insurance.
Whether it is your no-fault claim, compensation for property damage for your bike, or even the underlying personal injury lawsuit, all of these carriers and attorneys that represent them will fight and resist on almost every claim. We have handled hundreds of claims involving N.Y.C. yellow taxi cabs and these insurance companies. We know what we are up against, we know how to fight back, and we know how to get you the compensation and benefits you deserve.
We have also been successful in obtaining compensation for our clients above and beyond the base policy insurance issued to cab by filing and litigating a claim against the ride share company. If you were involved in a crash on your bike, as a pedestrian or even as a passenger with a taxi, uber or other ride share vehicle, call us for a free consultation.
If you are involved in a crash with a taxi cab, we can help you:
- Identify the insurance company for the cab
- File and receive your no-fault benefits
- Have your hospital, ambulance or other medical bills paid
- Obtain compensation for your lost wages
- Handle your bike damage and other property damage claims
- Obtain compensation for your pain and suffering for injuries sustained in the crash
Did the taxi stop and driver identify him or herself? Did you get the insurance information?
Section 54-13(a) of T.L.C. Rules and Regulations require Taxicab drivers (and any authorized driver of a Street Hail Livery) to comply with all applicable traffic laws, rules, and regulations.
Taxicab drivers (and any authorized driver of a Street Hail Livery) and their owners will be subject to additional fines and penalties to be imposed by the commission for violating the traffic laws as follows:
(4) Report before leaving scene. A driver who knows or should have known that a traffic collision involving the driver's vehicle resulted in personal injury to another, or damage to another's property, must stop before leaving the scene of the accident, and if the other involved party is present, must:
(i) Show his or her Chauffeur's License, Taxicab Driver's License and Rate Card to the other party involved in the incident,
(ii) Give the other involved party or the police his or her name, Chauffeur's License number, Taxicab Driver's License (or, as applicable, For-Hire Driver's License or Paratransit Driver's License) number, and Taxicab Medallion number or Street Hail Livery License number, as well as the name of the vehicle's insurance carrier and the insurance policy number.
Sec. 19-530(l)-Nothing herein shall relieve the owner of a taxicab medallion of responsibility for compliance with any applicable provision of law or rule. Such owner shall be fully responsible for the operation of a vehicle bearing such medallion, including compliance with all regulatory requirements applicable to such vehicle, regardless of the appointment by such owner of an agent licensed pursuant to this section.
- Look Up NYC Taxi's By Medallion Numbers
- NYC Taxi Cab Insurance Information
- NYC Taxi Cab Owner Information
- Rules to Prevent "Doorings" by Taxis, Cabs, and Livery Vehicles
- TLC Chp. 54, Rules for Drivers of Taxi Cabs and Street Hails
If you or a loved one has been involved in a bike crash, struck while a pedestrian, or otherwise involved in a crash or collision with a N.Y.C. taxi cab, contact us today for a FREE consultation.
Ever since my accident, they paid close attention to my needs & welcomed any questions.Efren V.
Dan & the Flanzig Team made the whole unfortunate experience a lot smoother.Chris S.
Daniel & his team handled all the legal heavy lifting & logistics so that it wouldn’t be burden.Kathryn L.
Leaders in the Safe Streets Movement
Committed Advocates for New York Cyclists
Top-Rated New York Attorneys
Dedicated to Helping Cyclists
Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (866) 352-6944.