New York Bike Messengers Collisions and Crashes
Bicycle Messengers know the risks associated with their job. They are under pressure to make fast deliveries despite traffic conditions, weather, and other obstacles faced while riding the city streets. For a bike messenger, these risks are an everyday occurrence.
A messenger knows what to look for and how avoid a crash, but even the most seasoned messenger or expert rider may still find themselves faced with a crash. As New York Bike Messenger crash lawyers, we understand how and why these crashes happen, as well as what the rider needs to get back on the road.
To help bicycle messengers and all bicyclists in general, here are some safety tips that you can follow:
- Keep yourself visible – Make sure that the other drivers can always see you. Wear bright colors and place lights and reflective materials on your bike on moving parts like pedals and wheels.
- Follow controlling bike laws. Use bike lanes when available, ride with the direction of traffic and obey traffic signals.
- Look out for the "Door Zone". One of the most common types of crashes are "doorings". Keep a vigilant look out ahead of exiting drivers and passengers in yellow taxi's and Ubers.
If you are involved in a bicycle messenger crash, here are your options:
- Workers compensation – Although bike messengers work outside of a specific workplace, depending upon your status as an employee or independent contractor, you may be covered by worker's compensation.
- No-Fault - If you are involved in a crash with a motor vehicle, no-fault benefits are available. Whether workers compensation benefits are available will help to determine whether no-fault will be available as well.
- Lawsuit – You can sue the liable party that caused your injury, such as the driver who you collided with or the City for dangerous road conditions.
If you are a bike messenger involved in an crash or collision, contact our team today at (866) 352-6944.
Dan and his staff was instrumental in getting a fair settlement- R.P.
Highly recommend for cycling accidents!- Alex C.
I recommend him and his firm extremely highly for anyone unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident.- Avner M.
Dan is great to work with: so honest, understanding and responsive. The best in his field!- Lisa V.
Without hesitation, the best firm a cyclist (be commuter, courier, athlete, etc.) can use.- Chris C.